www.ascendancylrp.co.uk

Welcome to the Ascendancy LRP forums.
Taking a Trip (Lost Property)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam K

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Taking a Trip (Lost Property) Reply with quote

The small party of friends had finally arrived at Heian after coming through the core portal in the Water Margins. They had found an out of the way inn call the Golden Mandrake to rest before sailing to the capital. Baron Valerius had left the majority of his caravan to return to his property in Saxony, as Princess Yukiko had asked that they travel quietly in order to deal with a personal matter. The party was currently made up of Miranda, Daniel, Darathior, Kaine, Yukiko, Katsuo and Ritsu. Yukiko had found some amusement in helping Miranda to look the part, considering wandering around in thunders without a kimono tended to get you noticed. The other members of the party had also done there best but Ritsu found it impossible to persuade Daniel into anything but the most menial of clothes.

It was the evening and no ships were sailing until midday on the morrow, Yukiko was sitting having her hair brushed by Ritsu. Her maid was tutting over the number of tangles that she had again managed to get in such a short time. It seemed to be Ritsu's favourite hobby to point out her unladylike qualities, however Yukiko knew that Ritsu would be the first to defend her, should anybody else make any such suggestion. That was the only real problem with servants that had know you for a large proportion of your life they were more like family than anything else. There was a sudden commotion in the room next door and the door was flung open, Yukiko had expected to see Katsuo and came suddenly alert as Ritsu's blade flashed out.

It was just as quickly sheathed again as a familiar visage called out "How does my niece fare, what troubles are you trying to cause now?". Yukiko jumped up with a definite squeal and nearly forgot herself enough to throw herself into his embrace as she had done as a child.
She remembered her position just in time, as Katsuo cast her a quelling look and made a polite bow, "Master Clay, I'm delighted to see you. How goes things with the peace treaty." Clay briefly explained that things had become easier for the Tigers as Ritsu poured him a drink and as was her way found something tasty for a snack.
After a little conversation Clay became serious, "Fire received your letter, but as your uncles and aunts we'd like to see you deal with this matter yourself."
Yukiko reflected on his words for a moment before answering, "I understand it's time for me to mature, I was just a little concerned that it might cause a political issue." She gave a small smile, "I thought a private word from Fire to the Omaki clan head might have been enough to resolve this. My father has enough to deal with..."
Clay gave her a look of understanding, before saying, "Don't get into too much trouble, it'd be embarrassing if I have to come and fetch you." Yukiko grinned remembering other occasions when Wood had thrown her hands up in despair at another close call, where her children had had to be rescued by their aunts and uncles. Quite aware that no small amount of encouragement had been given by said uncles and aunts to her wayward children in the first place.

Once Clay disappeared Yukiko called her friends together and explained that they were on there own, and needed to come up with a plan on how to get her property back.
'There's always something new to experience'

Last edited by Sam K on Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Sam K

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Taking a Trip (Lost Property) Reply with quote

After a little discussion it was decided that they would first head to the capital and then discover the best way to get to the port of Otani from there. Yukiko felt a little concerned about spending time there but they needed to investigate their opponents and discover the best way into their property. After all she had been invited to visit at any time...

Miranda had the totems keep an eye on the Dreaming in case they Omaki Clan again sent spies but for the most part they would rely on disguises and keeping off the beaten track. When they got to Maroto Misaki it soon became apparent as they asked around that if they wanted to get to Otani they would have to sail round the coast. This turned out to be fortunate as several of the merchants and even the Captain were quite talkative about the Port and those who controlled the port who just happened to be the Omaki Clan. Apparently the group had been quite fortunate not to have booked passage on one of the Omaki trading ships of which there were a number. By the time the ship made port they had made a number of friends, the Captain had even taken quite a liking to Yukiko and he found it somewhat difficult to say goodbye much to Katsuo's annoyance.

Well aware they were walking into enemy territory, all members of the party were on high alert as they left the ship heading away from the dockside which was clan controlled. Kaine picked up the fact that one of the dock workers had made note of them and started to follow. After a quick discussion the group split up into three, Yukiko and Katsuo, Miranda and Darathior then Ritsu, Daniel and Kaine, with the hope that with a female in each party there would be some confusion caused. As it turned out it was Kaine's group that were followed and they very neatly led their confused pray into a quiet alley.

Kaine came out of the side alley as the dock worker failing to register the ruse went passed. The poor man was shocked to find himself quickly grabbed and two fairly unhappy gentleman Wanderers menacing him. After only a little questioning he admitted he had been set to look for particular people arriving at the dock, by members of the Omaki Clan. As Yukiko had stipulated that at this point this was not a killing mission, Kane and Daniel sent the frightened man on his way with a warning not to come back.

The party had agreed to meet up at a hotel at the north of the town beyond the Clan owned properties. It was fairly quiet at the time they arrived but it soon became apparent that it had quite a good reputation for food which was not undeserved. After refreshments which Yukiko was quick to confirm where being served to everyone and could not be interfered with, they retired to their rooms and went into the dreaming to confer.
Sam K

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Taking a Trip (Lost Property) Reply with quote

When Kaine's group explained what had happened with the watcher from the docks, Katsuo asked Ritsu her opinion of the man. It was a simple answer, he was not what he first appeared, his shoes had been too good. Daniel and Kaine looked at each other their expressions annoyance as they realised they'd been fooled by what was probably one of the Omaki household servants. Before the conversation went any further, they decided it would be wisest to move realms. Ritsu would keep watch in the physical while the totems kept watch in the Dreaming, so no body would overhear the parties conversations and plans. It was agreed the best thing to do was gather some information from around town, so they arranged to go out in two groups Kaine, Katsuo and Yukiko together and Ritsu would go with the other three in case of any trouble.

Well they say if you go looking for trouble it finds you, as the group walked into the main room the innkeeper came over to greet them. Yukiko asked him a few vague questions about the important families in the area using their cover story as traders in artefacts to get a few details. He was quite helpful and stated that the Omaki Clan were the most important and pointed out three men at the bar, and another high class merchant talking to a customer at a table. This was not the best situation and Yukio stated their interest was other families before they left, ordering a table for the evening meal as the inn keeper had been quite insistent that it would be busy,

They left the inn quickly separating and as they expected the guys by the bar followed after. Miranda's group did a number of bars and was able to confirm some details about the Omaki Clan. Kaine's group did the markets and managed to find out a few details, both groups appeared to have managed to loose their followers by the time they decided to head back to the inn. When they arrived back the inn was very busy and it appeared that they had been correctly informed that it was the best place to go to eat. They excused their-selves initially and again stepped into the dreaming from the room they'd rented to discuss the findings.

It turned out a lot of the things they'd already discovered were true, apparently the Omaki clan was a lead by a woman call Bayushi and she had two sons the eldest being Yukiko's proposed fiancee. They were a rich Clan holding most of the property around the docks, along with the docks and several ships. They had a property to the North of the town and Miranda used her clairvoyance to work out whether Yukiko's property was in that direction, this was confirmed. After some discussion it was decided to go investigate when it was dark enough to hide the groups activities.
Sam K

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Taking a Trip (Lost Property) Reply with quote

When they returned to the bar it was to discover that they had reacquired one of their watchers, he was looking most out of place sitting at the bar in what must be one of the more expensive places to eat. They settled down to eat and quietly discussed how to remove the new obstacle, Yukiko suggested that she would be a good distraction. Miranda and Yukiko left for an after dinner walk and Darathior would go out the window to our room as back up. The rest of the team would follow the tail when he left the room after checking he had no backup. It worked perfectly and it was apparent the man had not been expecting to be noticed as he was caught easily, Yukiko and Miranda hid behind a corner and pounced on him with weapons drawn. He was taken without a struggle. A little questioning and checking discovered he was a soldier of the clan and had been sent to watch Yukiko, with no orders to do harm.

Not wanting to have it noticed that they had escaped their tail again, Yukiko and Miranda took him back to the inn manoeuvring him through the window. This must have been noticed because the inn keeper turned up knocking at the door, it took a fair sum of money to persuade him as previously that he should not be interested in their doings. This was becoming an expensive trip, however he had been quite helpful up to this point. Once the group got back together they suggested options and as previously Yukiko veto'd the more permanent solutions offered. Miranda came up with an idea and ordered wine for the room, quite a lot of wine. When the prisoners stomach started growling it also included food, even for a soldier his tolerances were low. He was soon unconscious with no likelihood of awakening that night, this left the group free to act.

Ritsu was left to take care of the prisoner while the rest headed for the Omaki main house, this turned out to be a compound containing a collection of buildings. Ever suspicious they tested what appeared to be easily surmountable walls and only a few noticeable guards. The compound was surrounded by a magical barrier alarm system and any attempt to cross would get them discovered very quickly. They needed a strategy and the best idea was a distraction, the gentlemen in the party especially Daniel thought the soldier they had would be useful for that. This did mean another trip back to the inn but it was only twenty minutes away which was fortunate.
Sam K

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Taking a Trip (Lost Property) Reply with quote

The soldier was still completely out of it and Miranda decided to added extra touches to the distraction. She turned to Yukiko asking for her perfume which somewhat confused the lady but she helpfully handed her some. This was spray liberally on the unconscious man and seeing this Yukiko refused Miranda's next request for under clothes. Miranda was not to be foiled and found some from somewhere, stuffing them in the poor unfortunates shirt. Daniel made some comments that we were going to have really ruined the man's day. Miranda suggested that it was not that bad as the perfumed wouldn't be recognised. Ritsu was instantly on the defence explaining that Milady's perfume was quite special and made especially for her, Kaine could only agree but stated it was probably going to not be noticed by those without special senses. It was too late they had to get on with their plan or loose the chance that night and possibly altogether.

They headed back to the Omaki compound and using the information Miranda had gathered, picked a location at a distance from the gates but in direct line with where the property of Yukiko was hidden. They were right the alarms went off as they dropped the unconscious soldier over the fence at the same time as they climbed over. They headed to the building that seemed to hold what they sought as soldiers spread the alarm and started searching the compound for intruders, although things quieted a little when they found the drunken soldier they still came close to catching the small group. They bundled into the building, Darathior just ahead of Yukiko to discover one of the family at prayer in front of the shrine...
Sam K

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Taking a Trip (Lost Property) Reply with quote

Darathior was on him immediately and managed to put a hand over his mouth before he shouted, it turned into a struggle and could have become awkward if Kaine hadn't helped. They soon had him overpowered and Darathior cursed him with silence as he was tied up and they could then take a breath. Darathior called on a spirit to act as guard by the door, while the others checked out the room, difficult in the light of only one candle but they couldn't afford for it to be noticed they were there. Miranda confirmed this room was not right but as it was the family shrine Yukiko proposed that they be careful and appease the spirits before doing anything. She had brought appropriate offerings but the family spirits were not easily encourage and the best she could do was convince them not to hinder or retaliate against them. She was told if she could get past the guardians then she could take back what was hers...

Not the most positive situation but the group picked up candles and left Daniel guarding the prisoner, as they went through the passageway at the back of the room. Kaine went first but it turned out the chamber was just the rest in state room for the family dead not the place Miranda was expecting. They checked the room but nothing seemed obvious or hidden such as traps, so they moved on to the next gateway again Kaine going first followed by Miranda and then Yukiko, Katsuo and Darathior acting as rear guard. The place was eerie and dusty much closer to Miranda's expectations, suddenly they were not alone and Yukiko quickly identified their attackers.

Wraiths! as Kaine started putting up wards Miranda attempted to get a fix on the item they were looking for and Yukiko fell over in an apparent faint as Katsuo and Darathior stood in for defence. It turned out that the Wraiths were quite aggressive and able to attack the physical, the group were soon in a situation of battle. The Wraith attacking Kaine suddenly appeared to be injured as the companions watched and then Darathior used a Void attack which was devastating. Unfortunately it wasn't the only one and they soon had to move to meet the next one appearing from the left-hand passageway the one Miranda had pointed out as the way to go. Again the Wraith took damage from out of thin air and it could be seen that others Wraiths were in the room they were appearing from. Miranda went to the door to attack and Darathior used his magic from a distance, Void and Spirit colliding is not a pretty thing.
Sam K

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Taking a Trip (Lost Property) Reply with quote

Then Katsuo noticed a couple of wounds appear on Yukiko's body with no apparent cause, with some irritation at her gung-ho behaviour he started applying salves and bandages. When it appeared to have been resolved he headed to give a hand with the Wraith's. As had happened previously the Wraith's appeared to be fighting another presence besides the physical party. They still continued to attack however and Darathior was forced to use more powerful void attacks and two more Wraith's were dispersed. Kaine had noticed that the door to the right posed a threat and that some Wraith's had disappeared from the room they had been hiding in. As he got there a Wriath appear partway through the door however oddly it came no further, he attacked it, showing your back was the enemy's problem.

Once the area seemed clear Katsuo returned to Yukiko's body it was worse than before and Miranda joined him in completing the treatment. Yukiko chose to reawaken at that moment and was met by a very hard stare from Katsuo, to which she responded, "they were on the spirit, I was unsure how effective physical damage would be."
Miranda helped Yukiko up, "She's fine and I think we found what we were looking for..."

They followed Miranda back to room on the left and stood as though abandoned was her mothers heirloom, Yukiko's precious item, so out of place. They could so easily pick it up and leave... such an easy trap...
Sam K

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Taking a Trip (Lost Property) Reply with quote

There was more than one amongst the party who felt that it was a little too easy, and once it was examined by Kaine and Darathior it was found to be a magic trap. It would take the power of a ritual to break and possibly more power than they had between them. Yukiko looked to Katsuo and he understood, "I'll will exchange with Daniel" at which he strode off. Daniel was soon there and between them they were able to disenchant the magic trap and as they did so they were able to discern it's nature. If Yukiko had been so foolish to touch it she would have been portalled to the centre of the compound probably directly into Bayushi's hands.

They had little left in the way of resources at this point and even though they had noticed some other interesting things they were too dangerous to investigate. The party headed back to the main room of the shrine and the door's that would lead into the compound, however it appeared the guards were on the alert again.
Sam K

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Taking a Trip (Lost Property) Reply with quote

It wasn't time to hang around none of them at this point had the energy to put up an impressive fight. The general consensus was to leg it as fast as they could... they headed out of the shrine and towards the back of the compound. This did not go undetected and within seconds they were in a race to get to the fence and over before the guards prevented them. Katsuo got there first but Kaine had to break-off to prevent guards on the left of the group and Daniel and Miranda broke right. The soldier closest to the fence turned out to be a basket-hatted mage and called a command spell for them to stop, unfortunately for him he was in reach of Miranda. In very quick succession Miranda knocked the mage down, Katsuo boosted Yukiko over the fence and Kaine knocked downed his opponent. Next Daniel also knocked down his opponent, Katsuo followed Yukiko over the fence and Kaine moved to join the rest of the group. The mage made a move to get up and Miranda stuck him again and there was a sickening crunch, as Kaine and Daniel quickly overcame their other opponents. As the rest of the team made their way over the wall, Miranda took a moment to glance under the Mage's hat what she saw was not human and caused her to retreat quickly.

It didn't take long for the team to regroup as they moved back toward the port, deciding on the move what to do next....

Last edited by Sam K on Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam K

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: Taking a Trip (Lost Property) Reply with quote

It was decided that they would have to leave the port immediately but overland rather than by ship, as they preferred not to be caught. Ritsu was still back at the inn so they headed back there initially while they debated where they could get provisions before they headed out. This turned out to be a moot point when they got there as the innkeeper appeared with some food to go and the bill, this turned out to be extremely high. Unfortunately Yukiko could not see anyway of denying him the money as she needed him to keep his mouth shut and it was obvious he intended she pay for it. This left them very short on funds for the rest of the journey which was going to take about a week...

As it turned out they trip was much easier than expected, fortune seemed to be smiling on them and they managed to find several helpful travellers and villagers. They got back to the capital and as they debated how they were going to get the money together for the trip to the portal Clay appeared again. One of the other tigers was with him and he was quite amused by the result of their mission, as he pointed out it wasn't elegant but it was successful. He also made the offer to get back some of the money that the inn keeper had over charged them. Yukiko was not convinced it was an appropriate act but was persuaded that they had been badly stung by the man and he needed a lesson.

While they waited for Clay to return Mai, who had travelled there to find out what her Mistress was up too got in touch. Mai used to be Yukiko's nurse and although she was pleased that her youngling had returned safe she felt that being pretty much penniless at this point was not good. Mai suggested Yukiko return to the house and speak with her brother about her finances or if not her brother then old priest Daoshi. This found no favour with Yukiko, Daoshi had been the one at the Garden of Harmony who had insisted that she come home and get married. He'd also seemed to find amusement in her predicament, as her friends were accidentally suggesting her behaviour to be inappropriate. In the end Mai did persuade her to meet him and they picked a quiet out of the way place.

It turned out that Daoshi had mixed loyalties, as they conversed they discovered there had been a time limit to the marriage arrangement and that Yukiko had voided it by not returning for the ceremony within the agreed time. What was confusing was that the time limit was long past and whatever the Omaki clan were up to was not within the agreement with her brother. Daoshi said he'd try and arrange for some money to be made available after Yukiko agreed to keep in contact as best she could.

In a much shorter time than expected Clay returned, with some of the money that the inn keeper had extorted. This mean't things would be easier for the party but before they made plans to leave Clay suggested they may like to do some training. There wasn't anyone in the party who was unwilling so they decided to stay on for some time to make grateful use of this friendly gesture from one of the Tigers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ascendancylrp.co.uk Forum Index -> IC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: