www.ascendancylrp.co.uk

Welcome to the Ascendancy LRP forums.
The Symmetry Of Mind And Soul

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ascendancylrp.co.uk Forum Index -> IC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Lotti



Joined: 14 Jul 2008
Posts: 94
Location: Cardiff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:00 am    Post subject: The Symmetry Of Mind And Soul Reply with quote

The screen door to a finely decorated meeting chamber was gently pushed aside and a pair of servants stepped within. Mirshuko looked up from a series of reports neatly arranged before her and watched in a half detached manner as a tea set accompanied by small morsels of delicately prepared fish and vegetables were laid out for her. Tantalising aromas quickly filled the chamber and caught her senses as each was placed within easy reach. With a blink, Mir consulted a pocket watch concealed within her kimono, frowned at it for but a moment in confusion then lifted a hand to forestall the pouring of the tea.

"Thank you. But that will be all" She spoke kindly, dipping her head as they bowed to her before withdrawing to the hall.

"The hours bleed together, and what do I achieve?"
Mir uttered in a rhetorical fashion and gathering some of the parchments up she placed them aside with a gentle sigh.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
usagi



Joined: 08 Feb 2016
Posts: 38

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A soft tap can be heard through the screen door, his shadow giving him away through the decorated paper panels.

"Mirshuko-san, the next shipment to fairy will be leaving in the morning, if you have any mail or items you wish to add, this'll be your last chance to have it added to the manifest."
"oh an how were the vegetables?, we've been experimenting with some more foreign varieties, I wondered if you noticed."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lotti



Joined: 14 Jul 2008
Posts: 94
Location: Cardiff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Ah, thank you but that won't be necessary this time Usagi-sama" Mir answered him quickly, sorting another parchment into a pile before the full extent of his words dawned on her.

"...Vegetables?" Her gaze darted to the food and she hesitated for a heartbeat before answering again.

"Wait. Would you like to join me?" In a flurry, Mir gathered the remaining papers, tucked them inside a portfolio, took a deep breath and began preparing the tea.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
usagi



Joined: 08 Feb 2016
Posts: 38

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Very well" and the screen door parts as usagi steps through.

He appears to be carrying several large scroll cases with him and a large book which he gently lays in a corner of the room before going over and kneeling at the tableside opposite to mirshuko, involuntarily tutting a bit at the sight of the uneaten food.
"You really should be making sure to eat properly, the kitchen staff are beginning to be quite offended and they're only looking out for your well being."
taking a brief pause
"So what appears to be occupying you Mirshuko-san?"

Usagi gives the table the traditional two knuckle tap to express his desire for some tea.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lotti



Joined: 14 Jul 2008
Posts: 94
Location: Cardiff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirshuko paused at his words and then politely bowed her head to Usagi while he settled himself at the table. She kept her gaze directed at the clay teapot in her hands, her grip tightening as a wave of tension passed over her yet it vanished quickly beneath a veil of practised civility. Drawing a steadying breath she poured an assortment of leafy fragments through a strainer with care until the cup beneath became full of an orange and fragrant liquid.

She placed the cup before him then lightly gestured to the untouched food.

"It is still quite edible, please have some if you wish"


Mirshuko poured some tea for herself whilst broaching his question.

"I am trying to keep up to date in matters concerning Keshi, although from what I can tell little of note seems to have occurred since our return from Salem. A little minor bickering between some of the lesser nobility, the crops are well, our productivity is stable. But I expect you are aware of these things yourself"

Mir picked out a few morsels from the spread, though she struggled to find her appetite, fiddled with her chopsticks then neatly laid them atop her bowl as she continued.

"Are you settling in well in our Lord's absence?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
usagi



Joined: 08 Feb 2016
Posts: 38

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pulling a small box from from the depths of his sleeves usagi brings out his own set of chopsticks complete with chopstick holder which is placed neatly on the table.
"Many thanks" as he gives a polite bow.
"itadakimasu"
Slowly usagi takes a small sample of each of the dishes arrayed upon the table as but takes specific time to smell and take a sip of the freshly poured tea, clearly enjoying it.

"yes it has been rather quiet, the Tsung family and the Yin-li family have been at each others throats over every tiny thing for centuries, they never actually fight but their family heads have always harbored an intense dislike for each other, its like the changing of the seasons, expected."

"As to myself, its just shifting back to an old role, its good to know that he trusts me with the position as needs require. Other than that I have my various research projects leaving me with not as much free time as I would like also I believe one of my older scrolls has gone wandering, from the small bits of evidence I noticed I think its hunting small mice, so if you see what looks like a papermache cat wandering around do try catch it, it has some notes I need to double check."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lotti



Joined: 14 Jul 2008
Posts: 94
Location: Cardiff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She fiddled with her teacup while she listened to his reply, a sudden curiosity bubbling within at the mention of the scroll.

"Well, I can look out for it certainly but I've never heard of such a thing; a scroll that believes itself a cat and behaves accordingly, is it a being similar to a Kami?"

Mirshuko immediately pressed on with her thoughts whilst meeting Usagi's gaze for the first time.

"In any case, I'd be concerned it damages itself if is going to keep prowling and hunting around... And how did it get loose?"


Last edited by Lotti on Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
usagi



Joined: 08 Feb 2016
Posts: 38

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usagi takes another slow slip of tea while examining a crispy dumpling.

"Its not a very well explored area of study though a certain school of thought I rather like is that anything that 'is' a suitable vessel for a spirit or soul will eventually attract one, its just a matter of time that can be sped up with improving the suitability of the item and area it is kept in."

a brief pause as the dumpling is dipped and devoured

"A common belief you'll see throughout the thunders is of the Tsukumogami,
the kami of the tool, the traditional belief is that when an item turns one hundred years old it would change become self aware and if it had been misused or mistreated in this time it would then take its vengeance upon it would be owner. a few of the tales also speak of blessings of good fortune for those that well looked after the item during that time."

another dumpling is preyed upon.

"The belief of change at one hundred years is quite prevalent and extends through multiple legends, for example this also extends to foxes, should one live to one hundred years they will become a kami, but to the truths and falsehoods of that, I shall enlighten no further"

placing down his chopsticks, a second set is brought out from his sleeves which Usagi uses to place a dumpling in Mirshukos bowl, "you should try these, just lightly dab it in some of the dipping sauce and it is really quite good."
.
"Now as to my scroll, I have a few that are similar but no two scrolls like these are the same, this one in particular was a gift from Liu Hai, Its made of quite sturdier than usual material so I'm not to worried about damage and it is quite capable of fixing itself."
"Unfortunately I'm not sure how it got loose, though I'm almost willing to bet it was one of the various visitors the library has received recently forgetting to put things back properly and keeping the doors sealed as one enters and leaves a room or perhaps failing to following the correct incense etiquette I have listed"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lotti



Joined: 14 Jul 2008
Posts: 94
Location: Cardiff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I see, but...Um" Mirshuko caught herself, suppressing more questions before interrupting him mid-explanation.

Having forgotten her own food she blinked as Usagi once more encouraged her to eat. She retrieved her chopsticks, resting them in the crook of her thumb whilst adjusting her grip in a manner that appeared neither swift or comfortable. It was in that moment Mirshuko noticed her hand trembling; a realisation punctuated with inhalation as she steered her free hand to her tea, drew it to her lips and downed the remaining contents with as much nonchalance as she could manage. She then placed the empty cup on the table whilst giving Usagi an eloquent smile.

"Given what I know of cats I suspect it sees your library as its territory and will eventually return of its own accord. However, it has been denied the chance to roam free until now, and who dares try and keep a cat from going places it desires to go will learn what good escape artists they are. When not hunting its prey, as your evidence suggests, it has probably found a hiding spot somewhere up high where it can safely watch the comings and goings of others, or it may frequent a sunny patch where it can warm its corners. It will not be found without being ready to be found you see, not without some means to catch its attention"


Mir's speech was deliberately light and carefree while she subtly tended her hand, kneading her opposite thumb about her wrist and pressing at the nerves there just long enough to refocus her grip. Then she plucked up the dumpling and popped it in her mouth, chewing in a slow and polite way to keep herself occupied.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
usagi



Joined: 08 Feb 2016
Posts: 38

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usagi gives a polite nod before adjusting himself to a more comfortable sitting position.

"Yes I suppose it will come back when it's ready to do so after its worked out its restlessness, I think there's an old salemite saying, something about herding cats as a metaphor for attempting something tedious and difficult, though I find setting out the food herds them just fine. Hmmmm that might just be it, a small trap involving some mice it seems fond of hunting though incapable of eating perhaps."

For a moment usagi eyes narrow as he gives Mirshuko a curious look,

"All that aside, how is your injury?, If chopsticks are giving you trouble, we do actually keep mundane knifes and forks, they've grown popular amongst some of our older citizens, especially those who suffer from a stiffness of joints."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lotti



Joined: 14 Jul 2008
Posts: 94
Location: Cardiff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Her movements stilled at his question and for a short while she appeared lost in her thoughts, fiddling with the chopsticks again though this time absentmindedly, and at length, she offered Usagi a polite smile and answered.

"My hand is functional, it was restored fine. This is, was, ordinary cramp from writing and calligraphy..."


Mirshuko's gaze drifted to her cup, noting it empty she considered the teapot for half a moment while continuing to justify her behaviour.

"I am keeping up with my lessons after all and with so many other things still to learn I take many notes. It is to be expected, really"

She opted against trying to pour more tea and instead covered the hand in question with her other, her thumb distractedly stroked it.

"I'll manage. It would not reflect well on anyone if I am seen to be indulging in too many gaijin habits"

Her gaze drifted to what remained of the food laid out between them but she seemed to focus on something other than the spread, her voice quietening.

"With the future as uncertain as it is it is best to deal with the now, appearances mean something in the now"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
usagi



Joined: 08 Feb 2016
Posts: 38

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Well for now if one thing is certain it is that there is still plenty of work to be done"

With that Usagi begins once more gathering his scroll cases and book, "Best to remain on guard for a time, when things are quiet one can often be easier caught unawares, thus even in times of respite we must remain vigilant, least a greater danger catch us unaware. This is the oft told lesson of Court Ondori"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lotti



Joined: 14 Jul 2008
Posts: 94
Location: Cardiff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirshuko stiffened as Usagi spoke and gathered up his things, in turn, she answered him thoughtfully.

"And we have seen glimpses of those at work in the shadows, have we not? So, your observation is worthy of consideration"

Carefully placing her hands together and lowering them to her lap, she very gently cleared her throat.

"...But actually, I had been thinking that I might travel for a bit" She took a moment to really find her voice whilst proposing the idea. "To Maroto Misaki? You see I do not really know much about the Empire, it would be of help to me to learn more about other parts of the Thunders"

She pressed on carefully.

"And as matters here are running smoothly and you'll be carefully overseeing things for Chosokabe-sama then I won't really be missed"

She looked to Usagi to gauge his reaction.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
usagi



Joined: 08 Feb 2016
Posts: 38

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Of course you'll be missed, this place is your home now, not just a place that you are living in for a time, and this palace shall be much quieter without you"

Usagi pulls from one of his scroll cases one of the more detailed maps of the thunders, though judging from the dust and obvious age of the scroll, when it was accurate might be a good question.

"Though a bit of travelling is always good for the heart and soul, Maroto Misaki has much to see and much to do, though apparently word and rumour do flow very fast there Judging from my last trip. I would highly recommend visiting during one of the festivals, they can be quite a sight."

Usagi absent mindedly scratches the back of his head as he is prone to do.

"if it is your desire, a ship can easily be arranged to deliver you, perhaps you could conduct some official business while there? I can also assume that you'll need to discuss some details with the major-domo, He'll likely wish to insure you are well guarded for such a trip, while I'm pretty sure you'll wish to travel by yourself for the 'purest' experience."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lotti



Joined: 14 Jul 2008
Posts: 94
Location: Cardiff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"But pragmatically speaking between yourself and the major-domo things will continue to run just fine if I'm gone for a while. All I'll need is a ship to give me passage there" She leaned in curiously for a closer look at the map.

"And the less fuss about my departure the better, despite how it may seem I do not trust that things are not still occurring in the shadows here. Unwelcome things. But I really do not know what to look for, it's a twisted up and complicated puzzle I cannot figure out. You will do better than I at noticing if things are amiss, you have a better sense of what should and should not be. And I think it is a better use of everyone else's time to remain focused on security here. Also, a chaperone will just get in my way."

Idly fiddling with a seam of her kimono sleeve she continued "If you have an errand I can take care of for you whilst there I can of course."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ascendancylrp.co.uk Forum Index -> IC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

RedSilver 1.03 Theme was programmed by DEVPPL JavaScript Forum
Images were made by DEVPPL Flash Games