www.ascendancylrp.co.uk

Welcome to the Ascendancy LRP forums.
Tales of the Usagi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
usagi

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Tales of the Usagi Reply with quote

There is chaos at first, a thousand and more spirits rushing back towards what once had forced them out, now gone they return in number to reclaim what is theirs and rebuild what had been broken.

what was once a flood turns into a steady stream of activity, only a few of the wanderers capable of seeing it, but all capable of feeling it. This place may never be the same again, but perhaps it might once again grow and become something....greater.

Usagi rests on the nearby hill before him a few of the spirits gather slowly, then more....and more for something is kin between them and him, yet he is different from them and they from him, a curious thing and such creatures do love their riddles and so they gather.
The Chimes sound again and again in the wind.

"Oh dear spirits, there is not much I can do for you, I have no more presents to give and my tasks here are complete."
The ears of the gathered droop in unison.
"Hmm, but perhaps a story before I go?"
This certainly cheered them up and even the sound of the chimes became still.

"Well let us begin"
"Once a long time ago There were two powerful creatures that had caused a grand insult to a brother of mine, one a great and mighty horse who has matched even the largest of the oni, the other was one of the twelve tigers famed to be the physically strongest among them, These two had called my brother rabbit weak and unworthy of their time when all he had desired was the chance to speak to these two heroes of legend.
Such an insult had not sat well indeed with my brother, so he returned to the great tiger and said, you think me weak? yet I am stronger than you know, I challenge you to a game a strength, a contest of tug of war! Well the tiger said, my comrades would never stop laughing at me if I refused such a challenge, fetch the rope.
And so the rabbit left and found the longest strongest rope he could, he returned and through one end to the tiger, saying tie this to yourself tiger and I shall do the same, we shall begin when I shout pull. The rabbit then taking his end ran out the gates and through the bushes and beyond until he found horse, to him the rabbit approached and said, horse you have given me much insult today and this will not stand, I challenge you to this game of strength to prove that I am indeed far stronger than you think.
The horse snorted and followed with a burst of laughter, barely able to contain himself, with a great grin, very well rabbit I shall put you in your place, give me the rope, and so the rabbit having given the rope to horse told him that he would go tie the other end to himself, and when he shouted pull they would begin. with rabbit disappearing back into the bushes the horse prepared himself and when he heard the words pull, with a smile he began but was shocked when the rope would not give, try and try and trying as hard as he could, digging his hooves into the ground, the rope would not move an inch.
Meanwhile the tiger was horrified, how could such a rabbit be so strong? always he had won easily in such games yet here he was being tested tooth and nail and no matter how hard he pulled, the rope would not budge, worse still the tiger feared losing ground, so with all his reserves of strength his teeth gritted he pulled the rope with all the strength he could muster and with a ear splitting SNAP the rope broke sending both horse and tiger flying, the horse tumbling down a hill with a thorny bush to stop him and the tiger flying straight through a nearby wall and out the other end.
without word or gloat my brother Usagi left the two dazed and confused.

And so to this day, both tiger and horse have been both carefully courteous and polite to the rabbit wherever he went for they do not understand the strength that he has".
usagi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The journey was long, and still far from over, there was still so much to do, so many to speak to, so much still to deal with, but for this one it was time to return to his dear library and find a moment of peace amongst the books, tomes ancient and new as far as his eyes could see.

Just as he moved to place a particulary interesting novel he had been reading, the peace was disrupted by one who knows how to do it so well.
A child by all means, another young usagi out for his first trip amongst the shard of thunder. One that dear Shimamoto had forgotten he owed a story to before he left, the younger Usagi thumped his foot angrily and gave Shimamoto a glare that startled away even the silence.
With a sigh to the mute Usagi, still to find their voice, Shimamoto pulled out another book from the shelf and much to the childs glee, placed it upon the table he blew off a cloud of dust from the book and opened it to a random page.

The pot of wisdom.

In a time, distant though it is, there was a most talented Kumo, different to many of his kin this kumo had no interest in weaving, webs or dances but had a true hearts desire for collecting things and what he desired to collect above all else was wisdom, so talented was this kumo at collecting he found wisdom in places even he could not possibly be and placed it into his clay pot he carried with him wherever he went.
The Kumo travelled everywhere, across the whole world, into hidden places, forgotten places and places where he could not be yet he was, for that was one of his many talents.
The Kumo met many people, and from each of them he took wisdom and placed it into his clay pot, the kumo spoke with beings that could not speak and from them took more wisdom for his clay pot, from the roots of the mountains to the clouds cave , the talented Kumo always found more wisdom to collect for his pot.
The kumo traveled forwards and backwards, often sideways as well, there was much to find for the pot, and much he did for so talented at collecting was this kumo that he found it all, and with all the wisdom in his clay pot the kumo sought out to find a place to put it, this was not one of his talents so the kumo decided that the best place to put his clay pot that contained all wisdom was atop the tallest tree.
With a good heft, the clay pot on his back the kumo began to climb to tallest tree but little did he know there was another climbing the tree, a lost young usagi looking for his way home, on opposite sides neither knew of the others presence and when they suddenly met at the top they scared each other, the young usagi nearly fell off of the tree but the kumo managed to grab him just in time before he fell and saved him but as he did this he dropped his precious clay pot that contained all wisdom and from the top of the tallest tree it fell and struck the ground with an almighty force, shattering the pot completely and spreading its contents all over the world, seeing this the young usagi tearfully cried 'I'm so sorry', but the kumo was not sad, "don't worry young usagi, it is more important that you are safe", replied the kumo, "anyways I think this will be more fun, now I can see from up here if anyone can collect close to what I collected in that pot, yes I think this will be most fun, indeed", with a fond farewell the talented kumo spun the usagi a web to climb down from the tree but did not climb down himself, to this day the talented kumo watches the worlds from utop the tallest tree, seeing if people can collect all the wisdom he collected.

Some would say this is where libraries come from, this place included.

with a slow purposeful movement the book was closed.
My debt is settled, and I think its well past time you went to bed...
usagi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masquerades

The festival had been quite a splendid affair, apparently this village had been trying to out do its neighbours for years on having the most extravagant displays and despite all the changes that have shaken the very world itself they had persevered to create something truly stunning.
Fires blazed and lanterns we set to fly into the starry night, the smells of a dozen and more different types of food grilling gently filled the area with a delicious aroma and distantly music could be heard from the travelling parade as all celebrated and gave thanks for the coming of spring.
It's not often Usagi tells his tales publicly but this night several of the young and curious had sought him out and with traditional offerings of sake and mochi had plied his agreement for one story, with the night still young and the moon high above them all, an old tale was told....

There once was a queen in faerie who was dark and cruel, her name was Su'e and within her kingdom her word instilled nothing but dread and fear, none dared question their shadowed ruler. For many years Su'e had ruled her land seperate from all the other courts of the fey, none were allowed to enter and those trapped within were left to suffer. Often when bored and requiring entertainment Su'e would send her soldiers out into the lands to kidnap children to bring back to her court to either dance or sing for the queens amusement, when the novelty of these prisoners faded they would be cast outside in the cold of night with neither food nor water at the mercy of the perilous land their queen had created, sometimes she even hunted them as they fled, few of these children ever returned home and those that did were forever scarred by the ordeals they had faced.

Far away the Jade Rabbit watched and grew angry at this queen for her cruelties and indiscretions until she could abide no longer and so using the moongate she travelled to Su'e's court to deal with the vile being.

Upon arriving the queens bodyguard and champion proved no match for the Jade Rabbits anger, they were swiftly dispatched as was Queen Su'e herself whom the Jade Rabbit imprisoned in the deepest dungeons of the keep, a place where so many innocent lives had met their end, the ghosts of that dungeon gladly greeted their new guest and much later a fresh scream pierced the silence of night, Queen Su'e never had the strength to reap what she had sown.

Still there was much work to be done for the Jade Rabbit, Su'es kingdom was still dark and full of suffering and could not be left on its own to fester, so with her magics the Jade Rabbit disguised herself as the queen she had disposed of to begin work at fixing the kingdom and making it a place of joy and harmony to contrast what it once was. The queens servants while curious at the Su'es changes of heart still knew never to disobey her, and that fear ran deep indeed as the disguised Jade Rabbit began her work.

Elsewhere in the kingdom there was another visitor from far off lands, the Monkey King had decided to visit the many places of the world he had not seen to experience all they had to offer, his journey had been long and hard and hunger was setting in, as luck would have it he eventually came across a peasants hut before a looming storm struck and the one inside kindly offered him hospitality within his humble home, the peasant had little enough food or drink for himself but still offered such to the monkey king for the peasant did not care if he himself was to starve for he had already lost what he cared about in this world, this caught the monkey kings curiousity and he pressed his host with further questions, you see the peasants children had been taken sometime ago by the ruler of the land, they had not returned and he knew the worse had befallen him, even the peasants wife had died from heart break not that long ago. Hearing this the monkey king decided to offer a boon to the peasant for sharing what little he had with him, that while he could not bring back what he had lost he could avenge them and make sure those lost souls rested easily till there next life.
In the morning as the storm broke the monkey king set upon his path and the peasant said his farewells and prayed, for a new hope he had thought gone swelled again inside of him.
Picking up speed the monkey king made his way quickly to the keep of the queen, he covered a great distance in a matter of minutes that would take others days to cross, coming face to face with the keep he demanded that the guards let him in to see this ruler of theirs, naturally they refused so the monkey king shattered what were once mighty gates capable of withstanding great sieges with a single mighty blow and with a mischevious grin intent on trouble the monkey king entered to the dismay of those inside. The defenders barely mustered the courage to fight him as all who did were swiftly were dispatched without effort and it was not long before he had kicked down the doors to the throne chamber at the heart of the place.

There the monkey king was shocked for while all the servants, guards and nobles of the palace had failed to see through her disguise he could clearly, to think that the beloved Jade Rabbit was ruling this dark kingdom which caused so much harm to its people confused and infuriated him, the monkey king is well known for his hatred of disguises but beyond that he was furious to think that one he thought noble was capable of the cruelties he had heard about this place, without a second thought he grew his staff from a hidden splinter to full size and attacked.
The Jade Rabbit herself suprised by the sudden presense of the monkey king quickly dodged as his staff smashed the throne she had sat upon into nought but rubble and with a mighty kick knocked the monkey king clear through a wall and into the courtyard below, she followed swiftly behind him for she could not allow herself to be defeated and let this kingdom suffer further.

The battle between the two raged on for hours, both were swift, both were full of tricks, for every one used the other had a answer, even the mighty Ruyi Jingu Bang met its match to the Jade rabbits hammer, her enchanted pestle was far more than just a tool, and as the moon rose high in the sky neither of the fighters we're willing to accept defeat at the hands of the other. The courtyard was little more than ruins by this point and it was clear that if neither surrendered they two would kill each other before the night was through.

Far away Chen Zu watched the clash and grew annoyed that simple misunderstanding was about to become extremely costly should either of these two perish, examining herself she was curious to see that she did care for what the outcomes could be, considering the options she took a rare choice and decided to intercede before a victor could emerge, it was with this that winter came to the Su'es land, the chill winds blew, frost grew and the clouds gathered to unleash a blizzard even in this sudden change the monkey king was relentless and carried on his assault until the cold hand of Chen Zu touched his shoulder and soothed his rage, the Jade Rabbit also became still for she knew Chen Zu well and was suprised at her intervention.
Snow fell and with a quiet voice that could cut across a battlefield Chen Zu spoke, first to the monkey king she said that the Jade Rabbit had already dealt with Queen Su'e and was attempting to not leave this place in shambles after her actions, then with a sigh she turned her attention to the Jade one, and explained that the monkey king had come to the keep to avenge those already killed by Queen Su'e and thought her and the Jade Rabbit to be one and the same, she carried on to explain that the kingdom and its people never deserved help in the first place, for they neither followed the way of their people nor had earned such aid and that it was now time to return home with her for the Jade Rabbit had her own family to care for and should leave this places fate in the hands of Sun Wukong, then with a gesture Chen Zu and the Jade Rabbit disappeared, leaving the monkey king alone in the ruins of the battle. Always above the Moon shone with a great brightness it could even be seen through the clouds and snow and the monkey king pondered deeply on what to do next.

Now the fate of this kingdom is unknown, some say it was absorbed by the other fey courts, others say a new king was chosen and raised up, one who had worked and knew the land better than any other it is said that he was truly determined to bring back the joy hopes and dreams Su'e had stolen
usagi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They had been following him throughout the day, they had been following him throughout the night as he went about his duties, and when due to finally rest they awaited him outside his tent.
"Ah, time already I see for another one, how it flies past us so quickly in these interesting ages."
"Very well, as you bid and as you wish, make yourself comfortable and I shall begin"

Once there was a rabbit who walked the roads through the many forests.
He carried a great flickering lantern where ever he went, though he would only ever be seen at night, he would always be talking but he would always be walking alone, he would joke and gossip, tell wondrous stories and recite popular poems, sometimes he would ask questions other times he would give answers to questions no one asked. Often the people of the villages near the forests would see him come and go walking his endless trail lighting his own way in the darkness. When the villagers crossed his path in the depths of night they knew not to ask his name because they already knew the answer, a Usagis name is always Usagi when asked, often they would warn him that is was dangerous to walk these roads so late at night, bandits and darker things hid in the forest and his flickering lantern would surely give himself away to them, to this the rabbit would shrug and say he had no such worries.
Sometimes he would offer to share food with the villagers and merchants travelling the roads and just as often he would light the way home for them with his great flickering lantern, leading them always safely on while nattering to no one in particular.
Always coming always going always talking and chatting away, some villages built small shrines for him and left offerings of food and sake for when he would pass, the friendly face in the night, it became known and told if you find yourself lost in the depths of the woods look for the usagi with the great flickering lantern and he shall guide you home, but never ask who he's talking to.
Over the years he had guided so many back along the paths from humble wood gatherers to lost adventurous children of lords that the offerings left for the usagi became more and more extravagant as the grateful tried to out do each other in their gifts, and this became known.

Soon after a great war, it was only a matter of time really, bandits had come and infested a forest that this Usagi was known to walk and had heard of the treasures that he had been gifted, they hunted and stalked him in the darkness as he made his way over the well trodden paths, they knew the usagi were tricky so they had brought many of their number and patiently waited hidden in the night till they had him completely surrounded before taking action.
Once they were all in place, weapons prepared their leader confronted him, a malicious smile gleamed on his face, his deep raspy voice like gravel being rubbed together, "ah dear traveler who has been given so much, how are you this fine evening?". The rabbit having been distracted by his other conversation took sometime to realize he was being spoken to lowered his lantern and greeted his wayfarer, "quite well though I'm led to believe we're due an early winter this year, must make sure to get some more candles for the longer nights, maybe attend the local festival for Chen Zu when they get started and while there....". the rabbit nattered on and on, a brief look of confusion overtook the bandit leaders face before he regained his composure and that malicious smile of his regrew as he shouted "BE QUIET!" at the top of his lungs, "I'm afraid I have little time to waste, I'm giving you a chance just because you are one of yours and let it not be said we don't give some respect to such, now if you would kindly lay down those lovely gifts and coins, we might even let you go unharmed if I'm feeling uncharacteristically generous." To this the usagi briefly focused before apparently returning to another conversation to no one in particular, "yes I know, how rude indeed, all for some trinkets? Yes, oh that explains quite alot of things....." the rabbit nattered on once again, growing visibly irritated the bandit leader abandoned his fake pretense of courtesy, "I don't have all night rabbit, and who in the THOUSAND HELLS are you talking to while I have a dozen swords and two dozen arrows pointed at you." This most definitely caught the rabbits full attention, "oh would you like to meet them?" He said with his own smile spreading wide across his face as he raised his flickering lantern high.

The screams carried throughout the night, heard by all the nearby villages, a few when morning came went to search the forest for what had happened, they found the odd sword, a bow here or there but no bandits to be seen, even discovering their fortified camp hidden deep within those woods it was found to be completely deserted.

Trust the rabbit that walks the forested roads, he shall guide you in the dark and lead you back home, never ask who he's talking to, he just might show you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ascendancylrp.co.uk Forum Index -> IC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: